Monday, Dec. 4, 2023 at 6:30 p.m.
Albert Lea Fire Station, 417 Newton Ave S., Albert Lea, Minn.
Attorney Michael Vraa will present in person to talk about a host of significant new landlord/tenant laws that will be going into effect on January 1, 2024. This session will be two hours, including ample time for questions and answers. City Staff will also be available for questions. This speech will cover the key new items signed into law this May, including:
1. Pre-eviction warning requirements for non-payment of rent cases
2. Expanded eviction expungements
3. Ban on hidden fees in leases
4. Changes to when a landlord can enter a rental unit
5. A tenant can break their lease for some medical conditions
6. A statewide minimum heat code
7. List of emergency repairs expanded
8. De-clawing rules and de-vocalization rules changes
9. Limits to very early lease renewals
10. Inspections for security
11. Right to Counsel in public housing cases
12. Rules about cannabis in rental housing
Michael Vraa is the managing attorney/hotline director at HOME Line. A 1995 graduate of Boston University School of Law, he joined HOME Line in 1996 where he has been the Managing Attorney since 2000. Mike has practiced in landlord/tenant law exclusively since he started working at HOME Line. He has given over 1,375 speeches on various aspects of landlord/tenant law to various groups including social workers, tenants, landlords, inspectors, police officers, judicial officials, and others.
Mike was also the lead author of HOME Line’s books, “How to be the Smartest Renter on Your Block: A Minnesota Tenant’s Rights Guide” and “Landlord’s Guide to Minnesota Law.”
Mike has been quoted or featured in several publications/media outlets, including: USA Today, Minneapolis Star-Tribune, St. Paul Pioneer Press, Thomson Reuters, NPR, WCCO Radio, KARE 11, KSTP 5, and Fox 9 News.
Please call Cierra Maras at 507-377-4340 or email [email protected] if you plan to attend this free event.