REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING
TELECONFERENCE ZOOM MEETING, CITY OF ALBERT LEA
Monday, October 26, 7:00 p.m.
PRESENT: Mayor Vern Rasmussen, Jr., Councilors Rich Murray, Larry Baker, Jason Howland, Reid Olson, Robert Rasmussen, and Al Brooks. Also present were Public Works Director Steven Jahnke, Public Safety Director JD Carlson, City Attorney Kelly Martinez, Finance Director Kristi Brutlag, City Planner Megan Boeck, and City Clerk Daphney Maras.
NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic and the Governor’s Stay-At-Home Order, this council meeting was conducted via teleconference as provided by Minnesota Statute 13D.021 Sub(1). In addition, anyone wishing to address the City Council and/or Mayor during the Public Forum or Public Hearing have been offered the following options:
• Join the meeting via the following attendee link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85804098175. You will have the option to be called upon during the public comment portion of the meeting via the Zoom raise hand feature.
• Submit comments in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 p.m., on the day of the council meeting you are addressing. Comments received will be read into the record during the Public Comment portion of the meeting.
CEREMONIAL ITEMS – None
PUBLIC FORUM – None
CONSENT AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Mayor Rasmussen read each item on the council agenda and provided background information.
A. Approve Minutes Of The October 12, 2020 Regular Council Meeting
B. Approve Minutes Of The October 12, 2020 Work Session
C. Licenses & Permits (none)
D. Resolution Accepting Donations As Presented To The City of Albert Lea
E. Resolution Calling A Public Hearing On Proposed Assessments For Miscellaneous Accounts Receivable
Motion made by Councilor Baker to approve the consent agenda as read, seconded by Councilor Rasmussen. On roll call vote, the following councilors voted in favor of said motion: Murray, Baker, Howland, Olson, Rasmussen, Brooks and Mayor Rasmussen. Mayor Rasmussen declared the motion passed.
(See Secretary’s Original Resolution 20-193 through 20-194 Included with these minutes)
PETITIONS, REQUESTS AND COMMUNICATIONS – None
UNFINISHED BUSINESS – None
A. RESOLUTION 20-195 AUTHORIZING INSTALLATION OF 2-WAY STOP SIGN CONTROL AT THE INTERSECTION OF 8TH STREET AND TODD AVENUE
The attached resolution would authorize City staff to install two-way stop control signs controlling north/south traffic at the intersection of 8th Street and Todd Avenue. In June 2020, the Engineering Department received a request to evaluate the intersections of 8th Street and Academy Avenue and also 8th Street and Todd Avenue for the installation of stop signs. A stop sign study was performed on each intersection. While neither intersection met the warrants for four-way stop control based on traffic volume, speeds, crash history, etc., Engineering believes the unusual layout of the intersection at 8th Street and Todd Avenue warrants two-way stop signs controlling north/south traffic. Lee Avenue and Todd Avenue converge into one street at the point of the intersection, and 8th Street makes a sharp curve and begins a steep decline just east of the intersection. Eighth Street and Todd Avenue also do not meet at a 90° angle, which further restricts cross-traffic sight distances.
Motion made by Councilor Brooks, seconded by Councilor Baker. On roll call vote, the following councilors voted in favor of said motion: Murray, Baker, Howland, Olson, Rasmussen, Brooks and Mayor Rasmussen. Mayor Rasmussen declared the motion passed.
(See Secretary’s Original Resolution 20-195 Included with these minutes)
B. ORDINANCE 20-250 ADOPTING AND ENACTING A NEW CODE FOR THE CITY OF ALBERT LEA, MINNESOTA; PROVIDING FOR THE REPEAL OF CERTAIN ORDINANCES NOT INCLUDED THEREIN; PROVIDING A PENALTY FOR THE VIOLATION THEREOF; PROVIDING FOR THE MANNER OF AMENDING SUCH CODE; AND PROVIDING WHEN SUCH CODE AND THIS ORDINANCE SHALL BECOME EFFECTIVE (1st READING)
The first reading of this Ordinance is being held to adopt and enact the recodification code of ordinances for the City of Albert Lea.
Brooks asked staff to call him to clarify the intention of this ordinance.
Motion made by Councilor Baker, seconded by Councilor Rasmussen. On roll call vote, the following councilors voted in favor of said motion: Murray, Baker, Howland, Olson, Rasmussen, Brooks and Mayor Rasmussen. Mayor Rasmussen declared the motion passed.
(See Secretary’s Original Ordinance 20-250 Included with these minutes)
MAYOR AND COUNCIL REPORTS:
First Ward, Councilor Murray reported:
• Ward Items – Working with City staff on ward items.
• Committee Update – Attended an HRA meeting last week and a meeting with City Planner Boeck regarding a project in process.
Second Ward, Councilor Baker reported:
• Ward Items –Thanked City Attorney Martinez and Public Safety Director JD Carlson for their efforts in resolving issues on a neighborhood situation.
• Committee Update – Requested an updated from Jahnke regarding the landscaping issue on Sunset Ave. Jahnke explained Performance Landscaping provided repairs.
Third Ward, Councilor Howland reported:
• Ward Items – Responded to phone calls. One of the calls was related to illegal dumping on private property. Asked Jahnke for an update on the Bridge Avenue project and the effects of recent cold weather on this project.
• Committee Update – Park & Recreation updates were provided. Will be attending budget meetings with Finance Director Kristi Brutlag and Councilor Murray.
Fourth Ward, Councilor Olson reported:
• Ward Items – None
• Committee Update – Attended an HRA meeting and provided updates related to approving of asbestos around the elevator in that building and the bike shed on the property.
Fifth Ward, Councilor Rasmussen reported:
• Ward Items – None
• Committee Update – Attended an Airport Board meeting where they discussed the five-year master plan and runway obstructions.
Sixth Ward, Councilor Brooks reported:
• Ward Items – Received calls regarding the Bridge Avenue project. Requested an update related to tiling by a resident in the Southshore Drive area.
• Committee Update – Attended a CVB meeting.
• Announced the Blazing Star Trail and the East Main Street projects were included in the bonding bill.
• City Manager Ian Rigg will begin his duties on November 9th.
• Encouraged the community to VOTE.
APPROVAL OF CLAIMS
RESOLUTION 20-196 APPROVING CLAIMS
Mayor Rasmussen explained that the attached resolution directs the Mayor and City Treasurer to issue the payment of claims as presented in the Detail of Claims report. In addition, Mayor Rasmussen displayed a list of claims over $25,000 for the public’s viewing, transparency and education.
Motion made by Councilor Baker to approve payment of claims as presented for checks #76666 through #76792 in the amount of $1,320,726.35. Seconded by Councilor Howland. On roll call vote, the following councilors voted in favor of said motion: Murray, Baker, Howland, Olson, Rasmussen, Brooks and Mayor Rasmussen. Mayor Rasmussen declared the motion passed.
(See Secretary’s Original Resolution 20-196
Included with these minutes)
ADJOURNMENT: 7:17 P.M.
Motion made by Councilor Murray, seconded by Councilor Howland. That there being no further business, the Council meeting adjourn until the next regular meeting of the Albert Lea City Council at 7:00 p.m. on Monday November 9, 2020. On roll call vote, all councilors voted in favor of said motion.
Mayor Rasmussen declared the motion passed and the meeting adjourned.
Mayor Vern Rasmussen, Jr.
Secretary of the Council