REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY OF ALBERT LEA
Monday, July 23, 2018, 7:00 P.M.
PRESENT: Mayor Vern Rasmussen, Jr., Councilors Rich Murray, Jason Howland, Robert Rasmussen, Reid Olson, and Al Brooks. Also present were Assistant City Manager Jerry Gabrielatos. City Engineer Steve Jahnke, City Attorney Kelly Martinez and City Clerk Daphney Maras.
Absent: City Manager Chad Adams and Councilor Larry Baker
PUBLIC FORUM – No One Spoke. Mayor Rasmussen closed the Public Forum.
CONSENT AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA
A. Approve Minutes Of The July 9, 2018 Regular Council Meeting
B. Approve Minutes Of The July 9, 2018 Work Session
C. Licenses & Permits (See Attached List)
D. Resolution Accepting Donations Presented To The City of Albert Lea
E. Resolution Appointing Election Judges For The August 14, 2018 Primary Election
F. Resolution Approving A Lot Reconfiguration Through A Certificate of Survey For Property Described As Lots 2 & 3, Block 1, Hanson Estate No. 2
G. Schedule Special Council Meeting for August 9, 2018 at 5:30 PM in City Council Chambers
Motion made by Councilor Murray seconded by Councilor Brooks. On roll call vote, the following councilors voted in favor of said motion: Murray, Howland, Olson, Rasmussen, Brooks and Mayor Rasmussen. Mayor Rasmussen declared the motion passed.
(See Secretary’s Original Resolution 18-131 thru 18-133 included with these minutes)
PETITIONS, REQUESTS, AND COMMUNICATIONS
A. Broadway Ridge Renewal Grant Program
1. RESOLUTION 18-134 Authorizing an Agreement with J.A. Expressions, LLC
Gabrielatos explained Expressions, LLC applied for a matching grant for façade restoration under the Broadway Ridge Renewal Grant Fund. The building is located at 123 Broadway Avenue South in the City of Albert Lea. The project design has been approved by the Heritage Preservation Commission. They are requesting a grant of up to $2,500.
Gabrielatos continued with a PowerPoint displaying the history of the Façade Matching Grant program and the number of receipients that have been awarded grants to be used in the downtown area. He noted the recent South Broadway Urban Renewal Grant that Slumberland Furniture recently received in the amount of $10,000 to be used for exterior improvements. He also noted the Broadway Ridge Fund balance as of July 20, 2018 is $393,061.
Mayor Rasmussen thanked the County for their continued partnership in this program.
Motion made by Councilor Brooks seconded by Councilor Murray. On roll call vote, the following councilors voted in favor of said motion: Murray, Howland, Olson, Rasmussen, Brooks and Mayor Rasmussen. Mayor Rasmussen declared the motion passed.
(See Secretary’s Original Resolution 18-134 included with these minutes)
To Howland’s question, Gabrielatos explained that J.A. Expressions is a hair salon.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS – None
NEW BUSINESS – None
MAYOR AND COUNCIL REPORTS
First Ward, Councilor Murray reported:
- Ward Items – Shared two items previously with staff and City Manager.
- Committee Update – Attended the Port Authority meeting and said the search continues to hire a new Executive Director.
Third Ward, Councilor Howland reported:
- Ward Items – Attended a Parks & Recreation meeting where Bob Furland provided a report on the number of people utilizing the Arena. Howland also reported he has received several grass and junk complaints.
- Committee Update – None
Fourth Ward, Councilor Olson reported:
- Ward Items – None
- Committee Update – Attended an HRA meeting. Interviewing candidates for the HRA Director position.
Fifth Ward, Councilor Rasmussen reported:
- Ward Items – None
- Committee Update – None
Sixth Ward, Councilor Brooks reported:
- Ward Items – Asked Jahnke for an update on the Margaretha street project.
- Committee Update- None.
- Attended a Senior Center Board Meeting.
- Celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Senior Center on July 12th and welcomed the new director.
- Encouraged the community to attend the upcoming Story Show noting the funds will be donated to the Holiday Lights fundraiser.
- Announced no “Mayor Monday” on Monday, August 6th due to the Candidate Forum
- Accepting applications for one more member to the Charter Commission Board.
- Thanked Chapel Con for the Festival they had over the weekend.
- Invited the community to Thursdays on Fountain.
CITY MANAGER REPORT:
APPROVAL OF CLAIMS
RESOLUTION 18-135 APPROVING CLAIMS
Gabrielatos explained that the attached resolution directs the Mayor and City Clerk to issue the payment of claims as presented in the Detail of Claims report.
Motion made by Councilor Brooks to approve payment of claims as presented for checks #68503 through #68678 in the amount of $1,563,253.12 seconded by Councilor Rasmussen. On roll call vote, the following councilors voted in favor of said motion: Murray, Howland, Olson, Rasmussen, Brooks and Mayor Rasmussen.
Mayor Rasmussen declared the motion passed.
(See Secretary’s Original Resolution 18-135 Included with these minutes)
ADJOURNMENT – 7:13 PM
Motion made by Councilor Murray, seconded by Councilor Brooks that there being no further business the Council meeting adjourn until the next regular meeting of the Albert Lea City Council at 7:00 p.m., on Monday, August 13, 2018. On roll call vote, all councilors voted in favor of said motion.
Mayor Rasmussen declared the motion passed and the meeting adjourned.
Mayor Vern Rasmussen, Jr.
Secretary of the Council