What is the Adopt-A-Park Program?
The Adopt-A-Park Program is designed to give the community a hands-on opportunity to help keep Albert Lea’s parks and trails clean, attractive and safe by:
- Performing basic maintenance activities like spreading bark, picking up litter, pulling weeds, planting flowers, report vandalism, etc.
- Donating funds for new equipment or park amenities.
- Sponsoring the annual maintenance cost for parks.
What is the Adopt-A-Park time commitment?
Each year, the adoption commitment begins in April and concludes the end of October. Applications must be received by March 1 of each year. Each group is responsible for submitting a monthly work schedule to the Parks and Recreation Department within two weeks of being accepted into the Adopt-A-Park program.
Who can participate?
The Adopt-A-Park Program is open to individuals, neighborhood associations, civic groups, religious organizations, service organizations, schools (school groups and teams), businesses and other community organizations throughout the City of Albert Lea.
How does one go through the adoption process?
The application and information packet for the Adopt-A-Park Program is located on the Albert Lea Parks and Recreation Department’s web site, www.city.albertlea.org, to be downloaded or you can pick one up at the Parks and Recreation Office, located at the City Arena.
What are the program benefits?
- It is a great way for your group to spend quality time together and feel good about what you are doing.
- Your organization’s name will be acknowledged on a sign in the designated park or trail, periodic stories in the press, and recognized in the City/County Newsletter and on the Government Channel.
- You will benefit from the satisfaction of knowing that you are improving your favorite community park/trail.
- It will not only better the parks/trails of Albert Lea, but the community as a whole.
- It will give groups a chance to have a hands-on role in keeping their park/trail clean and beautiful.
- It will assist with keeping property taxes from increasing as maintenance costs of the park system are kept to a minimum.
What are the Adopt-A-Park guidelines?
- The parks/trails will be assigned to groups on a first-come, first-served basis to be determined by the Parks and Recreation Board.
- Each group will receive several waiver forms that must be completed on every occasion they are in the parks/trails in order to keep track of volunteers and their hours worked.
- All waiver forms must be returned to the Parks and Recreation Office.
- Work is to be completed during park hours only (6:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.)
- All participants should be over the age of 18 or accompanied by an adult.
- Groups are to commit to work in the parks at least one day a month.
- Appropriate clothing for weather and work gloves should be worn at all times
- All participants are to follow all the park policies set by the Albert Lea Parks and Recreation Department. Failure to do so will result in removal from the program.
- Special projects that go beyond the scope of regular maintenance must be approved by the Parks and Recreation Director.
- Those groups that cannot fulfill their commitment to work on scheduled monthly dates will risk being removed from the Adopt-A-Park Program.
- Have FUN in the park!!!!!!
Adopt a Park Application (pdf file)